Report: Moors 1 Curzon Ashton 2

Moors suffered their first home defeat since August as Curzon Ashton scored twice late on to come from behind and clinch three points at The Brewery Field on Tuesday night.

Lewis Dickman’s side looked on course for victory in a scrappy encounter after Mark Anderson’s fourth-minute goal had them in the driving seat approaching the final 15 minutes.

However, The Nash found a way to turn the game on its head by not only levelling from the spot but then going on to claim a winner on a disappointing evening for Moors.

Dickman was forced to make changes to his starting eleven with Michael Roxburgh recalled from his loan spell at Stocksbridge Park Steels to start in goal due to an ankle injury to James Montgomery.

Ben Hockenhull was also handed his first start since joining on loan from Tranmere Rovers as he replaced the injured Reece Staunton at centre-back, while fellow new signing Jay Glover was named on the bench.

Things started well for Moors. With the first meaningful attack, Anderson found room to let fly with a left-footed shot from the left edge of the penalty area which deflected off a visiting defender to wrongfoot keeper Cam Mason and nestle in the corner of the net with just four minutes gone.

Moors could have doubled their advantage on 10 minutes when Sam Fielding drove forward dangerously towards the edge of the box only to drag a shot wide of the target.

The Nash grew into the game as the first half wore on and should probably have been level when Stefan Mols escaped through on goal where he was denied by the feet of Roxburgh.

The Moors keeper was called into action again just moments later when Jimmy Spencer battled his way into space on the right of the area, but his powerful low drive was well turned away by Roxburgh as the pressure began to build.

Spencer headed wide not long afterward when he met a deep Jordan Richards cross from the right, before Will Harris let fly with a swerving drive which flashed just wide of Mason’s right-hand post.

The visitors began the second half positively, though it was Moors who carved out the best opportunities – Harris seeing a low drive parried by Mason before Anderson drew a fine save from the keeper with a long-distance effort.

Things swung in Curzon’s favour on 74 minutes. Richards’ first attempt at a cross was blocked but he chased to get to the loose ball first and was caught by Owen Gallacher. The referee pointed to the spot and Will Hayhurst tucked home the penalty with the minimum of fuss.

There only really looked one winner after that and Marcus Poscha hit the cross bar from close range as Craig Mahon’s visitors set about looking for the three points.

The decisive moment arrived nine minutes from time when the influential Richards got away into space down the right before drilling a wonderful low ball back to the edge of the area where Isaac Sinclair stroked home a clinical first-time finish to put The Nash in front.

It could have got even better for Curzon in the final minute when Mahon saw his low shot parried by Roxburgh before Hayhurst’s follow-up was superbly blocked by Lebrun Mbeka with the goal gaping.

However, it finished 2-1 to consign Moors to a surprise defeat and bring to an end The Nash’s four-game losing run in all competitions.

Full Time: Moors 1 Curzon Ashton 2

Moors: Roxburgh, Ferguson (Glover 67), Mbeka, Hockenhull, Gallacher, Anderson, Fielding (McKeown 83), Ramshaw, Greenfield, Harris, Taylor.
Subs not used: Ross, Curtis, Atkinson.

Booked: Roxburgh (70), Ramshaw (90)

Curzon Ashton: Mason, Richards, Poscha, Waring, Matthews, Hayhurst, Mahon, Kenyon, Mols (Campbell 62), Spencer, Sinclair (Allen 90).
Subs not used: Ollerenshaw, Edmundson, Lopes.

Booked: Mason (11), Kenyon (90)

Referee: Oliver Mackey

Attendance: 1,002

Share this post