Report: Moors 1 Mickleover 3

Goals by Oliver Greaves and Andrew Dales saw Mickleover come from behind to knock ten-man Moors out of the FA Trophy at The Brewery Field on Saturday.

Rob Ramshaw had rifled Moors into an early lead only for James Curtis’ red card on 23 minutes to change the game and give the visitors a route back into proceedings which they took full advantage of.

It was Moors who started the stronger and they opened the scoring less than three minutes in. The ball was knocked long towards Glen Taylor, and the Number 9 knocked it down to Ramshaw who ran in to score giving Moors the early lead.

Moors looked likely to extend their lead, they dominated possession and prevented Mickleover from creating any chances.

However, Mickleover persevered, and the game changed midway through the first half. Moors’ captain James Curtis was adjudged to have tugged back Marcus Barnes who had been played in behind. Referee Christopher Ellis saw the foul as denying a clear goal scoring opportunity and Curtis saw red.

Less than a minute later, Ramshaw hobbled off adding to Andy Inness’ woes which forced Moors into early changes as Sam Fielding and Lebrun Mbeka were both introduced from the bench.

From then on in, Mickleover began to pile pressure on their 10-man hosts.

Andrew Dales came close to an equaliser in the 31st minute, his effort ultimately deflected wide, but Mickleover equalise six minutes before the break when captain Ryan Wilson’s cross was picked up by Oliver Greaves, who was able to get his shot away for the goal.

The sides went in level at the break with Mickleover in the ascendancy.

After the interval, the opening part of the second half was flat. Neither side were able to create any opportunities, though it was the visitors who enjoyed the greater of the possession.

On 60 minutes Mickleover took the lead through Greaves who met Wilson’s cross from the left corner of the penalty with his head to claim his second goal and move them in front.

Sports looked to close the game from there. Greaves and Luke Bennett came close to scoring but Mickleover were unable to find a third.

The game was sealed in the 90th minute by Andrew Dales when his effort from the edge of the box curled past Roxburgh and into the bottom corner of the net.

Full Time: Moors 1 Mickleover 3

Moors: Roxburgh, Ferguson (Mbeka 25), Pollock, Curtis, Staunton, Ross, Anderson, Ramshaw (Fielding 25), Greenfield, McKeown (Harris 84), Taylor.
Subs not used: Montgomery, Hockenhull, Ledger, Glover.

Booked: Taylor

Sent-off: Curtis

Mickleover: Bosworth, Bennett, Delap, Mann, Wilson (Ferron 72), Atkinson, Sault (Tomlinson 90), Greaves, Ryder (Trueman 86), Dales, Barnes.
Subs not used: Beavon.

Referee: Christopher Ellis

Attendance: 662

Report written by Callum Smith

Share this post