Report: Moors 0 Chorley 2

Moors slipped to a fourth successive National League North defeat as in-form Chorley took all three points away from The Brewery Field on Boxing Day.

Lewis Dickman’s men may feel hard done by to come away from nothing having missed a penalty and had another goal disallowed, but they were made to pay for passing up their chances in front of goal by a clinical visiting outfit.

There was one change made by Dickman as Rob Ramshaw returned to Moors’ starting eleven after missing the weekend game at Hereford through suspension.

However, it was Chorley who settled quicker, and Ben Pollock had to get back on the line to clear Justin Johnson’s powerful drive after the Magpies winger had twisted into space on the left of the area.

Moors answered back with an opportunity of their own as Reece Staunton’s cross went all the way into the feet of Keenan Ferguson on the right of the box and when he lifted it back into the danger area his delivery came back off the bar and was smuggled clear.

Chorley went in front on 16 minutes. A free-kick from the halfway line was dropped into the Moors penalty area where it wasn’t conclusively dealt with and midfield man Mike Calvelely lashed an unstoppable shot past James Montgomery.

Moors thought they had levelled things five minutes later when Lebrun Mbeka’s header across goal was fired home by Glen Taylor, but the offside flag went up to frustrate the Number 9.

Taylor had the chance to put his name on the scoresheet just before the half hour when Staunton was upended in the box, but Chorley keeper Matt Urwin guessed correctly to save the front man’s penalty.

Urwin – so often impressive against Moors in the past – was at it again moments later when a loss from the left was turned goalwards by Ramshaw but the Magpies stopper somehow turned it over the bar.

Moors suffered a double blow at the halfway stage when Taylor was forced off through injury just before the break, while Pollock didn’t re-emerge for the second half after taking a knock to his face.

However, Dickman’s battling side got themselves on top during the opening minutes of the second period and substitute Danny Greenfield saw a show deflected wide from the left corner of the box.

Chorley remained a threat on the break and Moors were thankful to Michael Ledger for some brave defending when he blocked a low shot from Billy Whitehouse.

Staunton – who was excellent down the left flank – flung another good cross into the area for Ramshaw who met it with a firm header only to see Urwin fling himself to his left to make another fine save.

It proved a crucial moment because Chorley doubled their lead just before the hour mark. A mistake at the back was pounced on by the dangerous Carlton Ubaezuono who stormed into the box, rounded Montgomery and fired into the roof of the net for 2-0.

Moors had plenty of the ball after that and Ramshaw came close from another Staunton delivery but this time he flicked his header into the side-netting as Chorley escaped.

As fans paid tribute to lifelong fan Freddie Hughes on with applause on 74 minutes, Chorley almost snatched a third goal when substitute Jak Hazelhurst got into space to shoot but Ledger did superbly to get back on the line to head clear.

Full Time: Moors 0 Chorley 2

Moors: Montgomery, Ferguson, Mbeka, Pollock (McKeown 46), Ledger, Staunton, Ross, Anderson, Ramshaw, Taylor (Greenfield 45), Harris.
Subs not used: Roxburgh, Curtis, Fielding.

Chorley: Urwin, Moors, Smith, Ellis, Blakeman (Wilson 45), Nolan, Calveley, Rus (Shenton 79), Whitehouse, Ubaezuonu, Johnson (Hazlehurst 60).
Subs not used: Moyo, Drench.

Referee: David Jones

Attendance: 1,190 (41 Chorley)

Share this post