Report: Moors 1 Scarborough Athletic 1

Rob Ramshaw was on target for Moors as they came from behind to secure a point against in-form Scarborough Athletic to bring an end to a sequence of five successive defeats.

The midfielder was on the end of a lightning quick counterattack fifteen minutes from time to secure a share of the spoils for Moors and register a first result for new boss Graeme Lee.

Lee had opted to draft Sam Fielding into the midfield for the clash against The Seadogs, who arrived in the North East sitting third in the table and looking to extend their winning run to six games.

However, it was Moors who made most of the running as they produced their most encouraging performance in a while which could have brought even more reward than the single point.

Lee’s men were on the front foot from the first whistle though it took until the 11th minute for a shot on target when Moors kept the ball alive from a corner to feed it into Will Harris who turned smartly to fire on goal only to see his shot held by Athletic keeper Ryan Whitley.

Another excellent break from Moors saw Connor Shanks escape down the left before turning inside to tee up Callum Ross but this time the midfielder’s shot was blocked by a defender.

Scarborough showed their teeth for the first time midway through the half when the dangerous Harry Green wriggled into space on the right before delivering a low ball into the front post where Gateshead loan man Aidan Rutledge prodded it wide.

The visitors upped the ante after the break as Alex Brown got forward well from left-back only to fire over the bar before James Montgomery had to get down low to save a low free-kick from Rutledge.

Jonathan Greening’s side grabbed the lead on 58 minutes though. A well-worked move saw Alex Wiles get time on the right of the penalty area and he slipped a ball low across the area for the in-form Green to slam home.

Moors responded positively and could have been level just three minutes later when Danny Greenfield’s cross from the left found the head of Michael Ledger, but the defender’s looping effort dropped agonisingly wide.

Lebrun Mbeka came close to putting through his own goal as he stretched to intercept a cross at the front post with the crowd holding its breath as the ball bounced dangerously close on its way wide of the far upright.

Moors got the equaliser their spirit deserved on 75 minutes. Scarborough whipped a corner into the box which was cleared to substitute Corey McKeown who galloped forward to feed Shanks. He drove at the visiting defence and then played a lovely ball in behind for the determined run of Fielding and when he fired a low ball across the face of goal, Ramshaw was there to convert.

Full Time: Moors 1 Scarborough Athletic 1

Moors: Montgomery, Ferguson, Mbeka, Ledger, Staunton, Ross, Fielding, Greenfield (McKeown 65), Ramshaw, Shanks (Anderson 88), Harris (Ilesanmi 76).
Subs not used: Roxburgh, Curtis.

Booked: Harris (49), Ferguson (79)

Scarborough Athletic: Whitley, Weledji, Thornton, Gooda, Brown, Purver, Wiles, Colville, McHale, Green, Rutledge (Dom Tear 82).
Subs not used: Cracknell, Qualter, Durose.

Booked: Green (74)

Referee: Shaun Taylor

Attendance: 1,178 (167 Scarborough Athletic)

Share this post