Report: Rushall Olympic 4 Moors 3

Moors were made to pay for a poor start as Rushall Olympic ran out 4-3 winners at Dales Lane to leapfrog Graeme Lee’s side in the National League North table.

The home side were 2-0 up inside 14 minutes as Moors began disastrously against The Pics, though Callum Ross’ goal just before half time gave them the platform to go and level things up just after the break through Lebrun Mbeka.

However, more disappointing defending saw the hosts reestablish their two-goal advantage before Sam Fielding’s injury-time goal proved inconsequential in the end.

Lee made three changes to his starting eleven as Dan Myers and Jordy Mongoy were both handed debuts, while Corey McKeown was handed a start. Will Harris was out through illness.

But the alterations did not seem to have the desired effect in the opening stages as Rushall got their noses in front when Sam McLintock’s strike was parried by James Montgomery only for Alex Moore to fire the ball back across goal for Danny Waldron to convert from close range.

It was 2-0 when Ross was adjudged to have tugged Waldron’s shirt in the box and The Pics’ front man dusted himself down before sending Montgomery the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Moors took time to clear their heads, but they came back into the game as half time approached and when Connor Shanks ran inside from the left to tee up Ross on the edge of the area, the midfielder curled home his first goal for the Club to restore hope.

Hope became reality six minutes into the second half when a ball was flashed across the home side’s goalmouth when Mbeka claimed the final touch to level things up for a Moors side who had shown greater intensity after the break.

At that stage, there looked to be only one winner. However, Moors shot themselves in the foot by conceding another soft goal just before the hour as McLintock ghosted in behind the back four to sweep a composed finish under Montgomery for 3-2.

Reece Staunton had to be alert to clear an effort off the line from Rushall sub Jourdain Nkalambi-Masidi, before Rob Ramshaw scampered on to Montgomery’s long clearance only to strike a tame finish straight at home keeper Jacob Weaver.

Ramshaw drew a wonderful save from the keeper on 75 minutes when Sam Fielding’s free-kick from the right had caused chaos in the penalty area, but Weaver was able to block as Ramshaw turned to fire on goal.

Waldron got in again on the right of the area to strike a firm effort on goal which was deflected wide and The Pics did make it 4-2 from the resultant corner which was nodded in by Mitchell Clarke.

Moors gave themselves a shred of hope with four of six injury time minutes played when Fielding’s free-kick was blocked by the ball before the midfielder blasted home a stunning finish from the rebound.

However, it proved too little too late and Moors were left to ponder what might have been after falling to their fifth defeat in six games.

Full Time: Rushall Olympic 4 Moors 3

Rushall Olympic: Weaver, Green, Brown, Browne, Hudson, Fletcher, Mitchell, McLintock, Moore (Edge 80), Sullivan (Nkalambi-Masidi 66), Waldron (Carvalo-Landell 90).
Subs not used: Reid, Coyle.

Booked: Edge (83), Clarke (90)

Moors: Montgomery, Ferguson, Mbeka, Staunton, Myers, Ross, Fielding, McKeown (Chimalilo 63), Ramshaw, Shanks (Ilesanmi 89), Mongoy (Greenfield 80).
Subs not used: Roxburgh, Ledger.

Booked: Fielding (50, Ramshaw (68)

Referee: Neil Pratt

Attendance: 408

Share this post