Report: Chester 1 Moors 1

Finley Shrimpton scored his first goal for the Club as Moors earned a share of the points against high-flying Chester at The Deva Stadium on Saturday.

The on-loan midfielder lashed home a leveller in first half stoppage time to help Graeme Lee’s side to come from behind to claim a credible draw on the road.

Lee had named an unchanged starting eleven for the trip to Chester to face a side who were unbeaten in eight and protecting a record of just three home defeats all season.

Calum McIntyre’s hosts showed why they have been so tough to beat at home during a dominant opening period, but they struggled to convert their possession into clear cut scoring chances.

George Glendon had the first opening when the ball fell kindly to him just inside the box but his instinctive volley was met by a brilliant reflex save from Brad James to turn it over the bar.

The breakthrough arrived on 28 minutes though. Chester broke dangerously down the right and a low ball was fed across to Glendon who saw his blocked before Christian Norton fired home from the rebound for 1-0.

There was a further blow for Moors moments later as Mika Ndjoli pulled up with a hamstring problem as he scampered down the left wing and he was replaced by Will Harris.

James had a heart in mouth moment in the final minute of the first half when he let slip a shot from Norton from the edge of the box to allow Tom Peers to convert from the rebound – only for the offside flag to deny the hosts a second goal.

Moors stunned the home side by getting back on level terms in first half injury time. Harris raced away down the left and saw his shot deflect just wide of the post but, from the resultant corner, the ball fell loose, and Shrimpton lashed home from close range.

Lee’s side came out looking more determined after the break and showing more bravery in possession which further frustrated Chester and began to annoy the home crowd.

However, there was a further blow on the hour mark when defender Ben Pollock was eventually forced off after trying to battle on with an ankle injury sustained in the first minute of the second half.

Harris turned well on the edge of the box but couldn’t connect strongly enough with the shot, while Danny Greenfield saw an effort charged down and Michael Ledger looped a header on goal which was held by home keeper Wyll Stanway.

Chester responded in the closing minutes when a deep corner from the right was headed onto the roof of the net by Nathan Woodthorpe, before Declan Weeks fired an effort straight at Brad James from the edge of the box.

Moors could even have stolen all three points in injury time when Greenfield whipped a ball in from the right, but substitute Donald Chimalilo just couldn’t turn it goalward despite being at full stretch.

Full Time: Chester 1 Moors 1

Chester: Stanway, Burke, Williams, Roberts, Woodthorpe, Whitehouse, Murray (Taylor 72), Weeks, Glendon, Peers (Caton 68), Norton (Thomas 82).
Subs not used: Coates, Edwards.

Booked: Thomas (87)

Moors: James, Lufudu, Mbeka, Pollock (Ledger 61), Staunton, Shrimpton, Dolan, McKeown (Chimalilo 90), Ramshaw, Greenfield, Ndjoli (Harris 32).
Subs not used: Fielding, Shanks.

Booked: Mbeka (30), Dolan (56), McKeown (70)

Referee: Melissa Burgin

Attendance: 2,312

Share this post