Report: Spennymoor Town 3-0 Whickham FC

  • Mulhern taps in opener two minutes in
  • Spokes drives through to net second
  • Mulhern adds his second after silky build-up play

Attendance: 330

Spennymoor Town 3

Mulhern 2, 79

Spokes 83

Whickham FC 0

A dominant performance from a mix of youth and senior players ensured the Moors advanced to the next round of the Durham Challenge Cup after defeating Whickham at The Brewery Field.

Frank Mulhern started the scoring after two minutes when the Spennymoor forward was able to tap the ball into an empty net.

Moors netted two more goals in quick succession, with Luke Spokes doubling the lead before Mulhern wrapped the game up with eight minutes remaining.

The hosts made 10 changes going into the cup game and the almost fully changed side started the brighter out of the two sides.

Moors went in front early on when Jude Oyibo ripped down the left-flank before rolling the ball across the box to Mulhern who was lurking to tap the ball home.

Stephen Thompson nearly netted 13 minutes later when his header flashed past the goal from an in-swinging corner.

The midfielder came even closer to getting his goal not long after as he was played through on goal but his blasted effort was somehow swept off the line by Jack Moody.

Two more chances came and went for the home side, as early substitute Charlie Hindson fired the ball straight at the ‘keeper after beating his man, before James Anderson was forced into a fingertip save from a flicked header by Mulhern.

Andy Lowe’s team came out of the traps early into the second-half as Anderson in the Whickham goal made a flurry of saves following close ranged efforts from Hindson and Mark Anderson.

The Lang Jacks nearly found an equaliser when 20 minutes remaining when Scott Robson chased down a loose ball in Moors’ half before poking his eventual shot goalwards but with Harry Flatters denying the forward with his feet.

Spennymoor did double their lead not long after Robson’s chance when Spokes composed himself inside the area before sliding the ball into the net past the standing ‘keeper.

A third goal was added as Mulhern grabbed his second of the game, similar to Spokes’ goal by taking his time after the ball landed to his feet inside the box, before coolly placing the ball into the goal.

Mark Anderson nearly added a fourth with the last kick of the game, smashing the crossbar after a neat one-two with Hindson on the edge of the area.

Spennymoor Town: Amissah, Pye, Chandler, Tait, Curtis ©, Moke (Anderson 72), Taylor, Ramshaw, Abbott (Spokes 57), Hall (Mulhern 59), Richardson.

Subs not used: Mason, Flatters, McLean, Short.

Plymouth Parkway: Moore, Craske, Lane, Palfrey, Rose, Landricombe ©, Williams (Bentley), Andrew, Hall (Shirley 89), Carter (Bath 18), Crago.

Subs not used: Davis, Allen, Baggott.

Share this post