Report: Spennymoor Town 1-1 Boston United

  • Taylor gave Moors the lead after a mere 29 seconds
  • Hanson equalised just before the break.
  • Both sides had chances in the second-half but the game finished level.

Attendance: 1274

Spennymoor Town 1

Taylor 1

Boston United 1

Hanson 44

Spennymoor and Boston United shared the spoils as both sides fail to find a second-half winner at The Brewery Field.

The home side started brightly and took the lead through Glen Taylor, who cheekily dinked the ball over the stranded keeper.

Boston levelled the scores minutes before the break when ex-football league striker James Hanson, found the back of the net.

Both side’s huffed and puffed in the second-half but neither were able to find the decisive goal.

Spennymoor came into the fixture with three changes to the team that started in last weekend’s FA Trophy victory against Plymouth Parkway, as Brad Abbott, Adriano Moke and Ryan Hall made way for Luke Spokes, Frank Mulhern and debutant Jordan Thewlis.

New signing Claudio Ofosu was also brought into the squad as he appeared on the bench for the first time for the club.

Moors took the lead early on through Taylor, who dinked the ‘keeper following a block on the line from Frank Mulhern’s initial effort, after Jordan Thewlis ripped past the Boston full-back.

United came close to levelling the scores six minutes later, as Joe Leesley’s free-kick deflected just wide of Jordan Amissah’s goal.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s team should have doubled their lead when Joe Tait rose highest from a corner but with the defender unable to steer his effort on target.

The away side did find their goal as half-time approached, with Leesley able to pick out Hanson in the six-yard box after working his way down the left-wing, giving the ball on a plate to the veteran who tapped home from close range.

Rob Ramshaw nearly helped his side retake the lead five minutes into the second-half, after he broke in behind United’s defence but with Marcus Dewhurst denying the midfielder.

Taylor and Ramshaw then forced the opposition goalkeeper into a double saves, With Marcus Dewhurst pushing away Taylor’s half-volley once the striker was able to latch onto a loose ball, before the midfielder then saw his effort beaten away identically.

The Lincolnshire side came close to taking the lead on two occasions through Danny Elliot, when the forward met crosses from both flanks but could not convert either chance.

Moors’ Jamie Chandler had the best chance later on, when his low-driven shot on the edge of the area was pushed away by Dewhurst with seven minutes remaining.

Spennymoor Town: (4-3-3): Amissah; Pye, Tait, Curtis, Richardson; Chandler, Spokes, Ramshaw; Thewlis (Moke 88), Taylor ©, Mulhern (Ofosu 67).

Subs not used: Abbott, Eve, Anderson.

Boston United: (4-4-2): Dewhurst; Duxbury, Shiels ©, Platt, Tootle; Leesley, Green (Dimaio 65), Byrne, Ferguson; Elliot (Preston 75), Hanson (Lalkovic 88).

Subs not used: Crook, Armond, 

Share this post