Report: Southport 1 Moors 2

Moors clinched their first win in almost three months as goals from Ben Pollock and Mika Ndjoli saw them come from behind to claim a crucial three points at Southport on Tuesday night.

Pollock’s close-range header from a corner to level things up proved a turning point and Graeme Lee’s men built upon it to grab a richly deserved winner when Ndjoli steered home his first goal for the Club after the break.

Lee named an unchanged starting eleven for the trip to Haig Avenue, which overcame a lunchtime pitch inspection to be given the go-ahead after heavy overnight rain.

However, Moors were left wondering if they would have preferred a postponement as the hosts got off to a lightning start with Matt Thomson firing a shot just wide from the edge of the area with just two minutes on the clock.

Just a minute later, James Montgomery was forced into a fine save to deny Southport defender Festus Arthur who fired a powerful shot on goal before Corey McKeown was superbly placed to clear a follow-up effort off the line.

Montgomery stood tall to make another fine block on 11 minutes when dangerman Josh Hmami stole in at the front post to flick an effort on target as the home side continued to dominate.

Their positive start drew reward on 16 minutes when Hmami was allowed the time and space to slip a low shot beyond Montgomery and give Southport the lead they craved.

The setback seemed to wake Moors up a little and they almost responded immediately. Reece Staunton shovelled a cross into the box and Rob Ramshaw’s header looked to be heading into the top corner before a timely intervention from Port keeper Chris Renshaw. It was not to be his last.

Ndjoli’s shot on the edge of the area was blocked before Callum Ross showed great presence of mind to roll the loose ball square for the arriving Staunton but the full-back blazed his shot too high.

However, Moors were level just after the half hour when a corner was swung in from the right and Pollock showed great desire to get his head to it first and direct into the net at the near post for 1-1.

Donald Chimalilo then took centre-stage as he first burst inside from the left to shoot low on goal only to find Renshaw right behind his drive.

Just minutes later the flying winger once again left two defenders for dead on the left to move dangerously toward the Southport area before unleashing a dipping shot which left Renshaw rooted to the spot only for it cannon back off the bar.

The second half started at a slower tempo, but it burst into life on 56 minutes. Staunton did brilliantly to keep an attack alive down the left and when he flashed a low ball through the six-yard area, Ndjoli slid in to ram the ball into the roof of the net for 2-1.

At the other end Marcus Carver tested Montgomery with a low drive but it was Moors who looked in the driving seat now and they could have extended their lead when loan star Evan Khouri drove an effort just wide.

Ndjoli was causing more and more problems on the back of his goal and curled one effort just wide before seeing another flash past the upright by virtue of a deflection off a defender.

Renshaw made another smart save down to his left to deny Rob Ramshaw, before Montgomery was forced into action again to prevent Thomson’s powerful effort from finding the net.

Substitute Will Harris drew another save from Renshaw after great work from Ndjoli in the build-up, while Moors survived a scare five minutes from time when Tyler Walton’s drive clipped the bar on its way over.

Renshaw then produced another great save to deny Ramshaw and an even better one down low to his left to stop Ndoli doubling his tally for the evening in injury time.

Full Time: Southport 1 Moors 2

Southport: Renshaw, Thomson, Doyle, Flowers, Morgan (Archer 74), Carver (Russ 74), Walton, Hmami (Bennett 33), Arthur, Burgess, Philliskirk.
Subs not used: McMillan, Quansah.

Moors: Montgomery, Ledger, Mbeka, Pollock, Staunton, Ross, Khouri (Fielding 71), Ramshaw, Chimalilo (Greenfield 71), McKeown (Harris 59), Ndjoli.
Subs not used: Myers, Shanks.

Booked: Staunton (79), Mbeka (86), Ledger (90).

Referee: Gareth Thomas

Attendance: 512 (32 Moors)

Share this post